Thursday 5 November 2009

C.R.A.F.T 24 DT - Bonfire Night/Celebrations/Fireworks


This week's challenge at C.R.A.F.T, is for Bonfire night, with the alternative themes being 'Celebrations' or 'Fireworks.

I personally found this subject really hard as I don't care for Bonfire night really and my mojo went walkabout for most of the week - most disconcerting!

But then I got to thinking of what Bonfire night and Hallo'een meant whan I was a child and my thoughts went to my Dad, who always made Treacle Toffee and Cinder Toffee at this time of year. He never made it at any other time of the year, just around this time!

We didn't think that at all strange because in those days butter and sugar were expensive items and not at all thick on the ground (..well, unless he dropped the pan...!) in the fifties so it was a special treat to look forward to along with the fireworks and neighbourhood bonfire.


So, going with that thought, I decided to make some Treacle Toffee in a seasonal box anda matching recipe book.


Here it is!


The first recipe is for
Treacle Toffee


Ingredients
makes about 800 g (1 3/4 lb)
450 g (1 lb) demerara sugar
75 g (3 oz) butter
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) cream of tartar
100 g (4 oz) black treacle
100 g (4 oz) golden syrup

Method
1. Put the sugar and 150 ml (1/4 pint) water in a large heavy-based saucepan, with a sugar thermometer attached, and heat gently until dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.

2. Boil until the temperature reaches the soft crack stage 132°C (270°F), when a little of the syrup dropped in cold water separates into hard but not brittle threads. Brush down the sides of the pan occasionally with a pastry brush dipped in water. Do not stir.

3. Pour into a greased 18 cm (7 inch) square tin. Cool for 5 minutes and mark into squares with an oiled knife when almost set. When set, break the toffee into squares and wrap in waxed papers or foil. Store in an airtight container


The second recipe is for
Cinder
Toffee

100g golden syrup

200g caster sugar

40g Butter
0.5 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda

2 tbsp water


Cinder toffee is made with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda because they react together so it froths before it sets into the little bubbles we’re so familiar with that give Cinder toffee it’s characteristic crispness.
Any taste of vinegar is neutralised, leaving you with its usual buttery toffee flavour.


Method

Line a 15cm square tin with greaseproof paper. Put the syrup, sugar, butter and water into a large heavy-bottomed pan over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, before turning up the heat and bringing to the boil. Simmer this mix without stirring until a teaspoon of the hot toffee mixture becomes a hard ball when dropped into a jug of cold water. If you have a sugar thermometer, it should show 138C. Remove the pan from the heat. Take care with this next bit. Making sure tha pan is on a secure surface (I use the sink!) add the vinegar and bicarb to it - the toffee mixture will bubble up and rise in the pan like a small volcano erupting!. Pour immediately into the lined tin and leave to one side. After about 15- 20 minutes the mixture will begin to set so now score the toffee in square shapes with a sharp knife. When the mix has completely set you will then be able to break it more easily along the lines. The toffee will keep in an airtight tin for up to two weeks.

Both of these toffees can, of course, be enrobed with chocolate, if you so desire.

I hope you enjoy the recipes and if you like the project and would like to win it complete with contents, leave me a comment stating why you should win it!

Thank you for looking!
Hugs,
Ei
x


PS
I should just add that the card I used for the box has been recycled from a lovely craft kit packaging my good-lookin' number one son bought me last Christmas! I really liked the colours so, as with most crafters, I kept it! LOL!

10 comments:

  1. oh hun this is brilliant, just adore it what a great idea you are like me I do not go much on bonfire night either,but you have made one cracking craft items here love cheryl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ei, What a lovely treat.....I would love to be in with a chance of winning this beacause...the vintage toffee you have made, I haven't tasted for over a decade!!!
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ei. How clever are you, making sweets at the same time as crafting. We used to buy cinder toffee from a stall on our local market but the chap who sold it retired years ago and I've not had it since. My mouth is watering now at the sight of it. Childhood in a box!!

    Lisax

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic eileen.. your creations never cease to amaze me. you say your mojo went on walkabouts.... it couldnt have gone very far...
    What a fab creation you have come up with this time... that toffee is making my mouth water.. I havent made anything like that in years... I wouldnt say no to being in for a chance of winning.... but saying that, i already feel like a winner being given the chance to use your fab Cheeky Snowman Digi image....
    I have no idea why I think I should win...except for the fact...I'm feeling rather peckish... that peanut butter sandwich I had earlier, just didnt hit the spot! But tofee might :):)
    have a wonderful weekend and no eating too much of that tofee now...save some for everyone else :)
    hugs rozzy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project Ei - yummy tastic I'd say! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for liking my project - it's very gratifying to have such lovely remarks!
    Rozzy, you're making me blush! LOL!
    You did a lovely job with my Snowman and when I get 5 mins, I'm putting it on here!
    My Ada is going to choose the winner - so have a look on Tuesday! I look forward to it! LOL!
    Hugs,
    Ei
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful idea, beautiful box and the toffee sounds yummy! Anesha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's absolutely gorgeous Eileen and a fab idea.

    Love,

    Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Ada did hre duty and she picked out Jack-in-the-box!
    Congratulations Jacky!
    I shall, of course, e-mail you to let you know as I am bit late putting this on (I went straight to bed last night!)
    Hugs,
    Ei
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...thank you Ada for choosing me!!!! I am really going to look forward to the postman coming....just hope he doesn't guess what it is he will be delivering!!!
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment!
I will try to respond where time allows.
Hugs
Eiglas
x

Lots going on at Chez Eiglas... ;)

I've been home from work now for nearly three months - and it has been wonderful...! I've drawn, painted, had an amazing time with ...